Breaking News

WBA, IBF, and WBO championships on the line in New York: Teofimo Lopez versus George Kambosos jnr LIVE updates

 




2.45pm

As they make their way into the ring

The combatants had to be rerouted so that they didn't cross paths on their way into the ring, according to reports.


Lopez is dressed in a multi-colored robe and certainly looks the part.


As he approaches the arena, Kambosos Jnr appears concentrated. Let the games begin!



2.39pm

The final word...

Before entering the ring, the boxers conducted one last interview to DAZN. Here's what they had to say...


"It's been a long time coming, and I'm all smiles right now," Lopez says.


"All the training that I've done, all the hard work," he replied when asked why he was certain of an early stoppage. Isn't it true that the harder you work, the fortunate you become? I've been pouring my heart, soul, and sweat into this, working nonstop to master my trade. You never get better at this, but I feel so much better than I did in the Lomachenko fight and in all of my previous fights. I'm really excited, so make sure you tune in because it's going to be a short night."



Upcomingnews,Teófimo López  George Kambosos Jr.  World Boxing Association

KAMBOSOS JNR: "I'm exceptionally loose, I'm drafted in. Limited focus, prepared to battle." 

Gotten some information about Lopez's arrangement to complete him early, Kambosos Jnr said: "No issue. I'll come straight on with him also. 

"He will come out quick, so am I. 

"I've been the longshot commonly in my vocation, I love it, I totally flourish with it. I realize that I show improvement over he does. I will win this battle." 

2.36pm 

By George, he's a decent chap 

I've had the chance to talk with George Kambosos Jnr a few times throughout the most recent couple of months and he's a simple man to warm to. 

He has an inconceivable story, he's great at telling it and this battle is a truly incredible summit of difficult work. 

The Australian lacks normal ability of Lopez, however he has arrived at this point through sheer assurance. While the greater part of his comrades are cheerful battling before their home fans, Kambosos Jnr has battled all around the world in quest for his title shot. His last five fives have been in Kuala Lumpur, Las Vegas, Athens, New York and Wembley, evidence that he is ready to battle anybody, anyplace.


George Kambosos Jr. is on the verge of becoming the indisputable world champion. CREDIT:SMH

"George went to the mountain, but the mountain didn't come to him," claimed Johnny Lewis, the famed boxing trainer.

"I wouldn't be shocked if George brought those three belts back to the United States."

I recently published an article about the revival of Australian boxing, and Kambosos Jnr was the star of the story. If he can pull off a major upset, it will be one of the most significant victories in Australian boxing history.


 

The time has come

And Kambosos Jnr v Lopez is up next!

The final undercard bout has been completed. Kenichi Ogawa has taken the vacant IBF world super featherweight title with a dominant display against Azinga Fuzile in the co-main event.

Fuzile has shown incredible courage to make it to the end of the12th round considering the punishment he has sustained. He was knocked down twice in the final round, but just managed to make it to the end.

So now we’re ready for the big one!

 

Show me the money

When George Kambosos Jnr first turned professional, he was fighting in small, suburban venues. Often he would have to hustle to sell tickets or even pay his opponent.

“I was fighting the local show at the Croatian Club, I was hustling for tickets,” he told me.

“Me and my father were ringing people asking ‘Can you buy a table? Can you buy some tickets?’


“I was getting a bit of a commission, just trying to make a little extra money. We were pushing small businesses for some extra money to help us, so that I could train without having to work.

“This is not an easy road.”

Today, however, is a big pay day. Regardless of the result, Kambosos will bank just over $2 million. Should he beat Lopez, he will earn significantly more for a title defence.

Not that Kambosos is concerned about the cash.

“This is about legacy for me, not about money,” Kamboso Jnr said.

“I’m very focused, my tunnel vision is unbreakable. I can’t see how this kid beats me. He cannot beat me.”

 

Talking smack

Here’s another example of the trash talk that has been exchanged. Let’s hope the fight itself is as entertaining! Language warning.

Advertisement
 

So how does this play out?

The way I see it, Kambosos Jnr’s chances increase the longer the fight goes. The Australian has a huge motor, measures distance well and his workrate could result in him coming home stronger if it goes the full 12 rounds. So dedicated is the underdog to his craft, he was back in the gym the night he notched his biggest victory, against Lee Selby.

Lopez has dynamite power and will be looking for an early kill. Kambosos Jnr will can’t afford to make a mistake.

George Kambosos Jnr is supremely confident.

George Kambosos Jnr is supremely confident.CREDIT:SMH

Colleague Phil Lutton has broken it down for us in the preview below ...


 

Tale of the tape

Here’s a breakdown of the careers of the two men, courtesy of the folk from Aus-Boxing.com.

The stat that stands out is Lopez’s knockout record; three out of four of his opponents don’t go the distance ...

 

Mind games

We mentioned that this has been a fight a long time in the making. This is the moment that Kambosos Jnr believes he won the mental battle ...



 

Bad blood

There is so much confected hatred in the boxing world and, frankly, it can become a bit tiresome. However, these two genuinely hate each other.

The fact the build up has been so long - they were originally meant to be fighting on June 19 - has only served to further inflame tensions.

On Wednesday, the fathers of the fighters - Teofimo Lopez snr and George Kambosos snr – had to be pulled apart after almost coming to blows. The older Lopez mouthed off at a media day and crossed into the space of the opposing camp. The Kambosos clan would have none of it.

Teofimo Lopez and George Kambosos jnr  face off during a press conference in April.

Teofimo Lopez and George Kambosos jnr face off during a press conference in April.CREDIT:GETTY

And the men actually stepping into the ring have been at each other well before the opening bell.

“F--- him and all his team,” Lopez said at the weigh in.

“I don’t care. At the end of the day, we’re doing what we gotta do. They can do whatever they want but at the end of the day, they can’t defend him in that ring. Gangsters don’t talk, we move in silence.”

Kambosos Jnr hasn’t backed away and if the fight is anywhere near as good as the build up, we’re in for something special.

“We’re living in his head, rent-free,” Kambosos said after a long stare-off.

“We’ve been living in it a very long time. He’s a dehydrated little boy. He struggled, man.

“We’re ready for war, no problems on our side. Bring it on, we’re taking all his belts, in his hometown.

“I am winning these belts, I’m bringing them back home and it will be massive for Australian boxing and Greek boxing. This is huge and I have my countries behind me. I have the world behind me. I am winning this fight with everything I’ve got.”


No comments